The communications aim to provide students with the tools to qualitatively and quantitatively analyze the territory and especially the urban aggregates that are part of it.
These purposes involve a twofold operation: to detect from reality (a set of cognitive surveys aimed at understanding the object under analysis) and translate into an ordered set of data and signs - through a critical synthesis operation - the only information needed to meet the purposes for which the survey was carried out.
It is, therefore, a matter of acquiring a methodology able to allow the reading of the multiple components of the scale of the territory and those of the urban scale in view of a project aimed at modifying the anthropic environment (conservation, restoration and protection, new building) or aimed at documentation-cataloguing or historical analysis only.
- Purpose of the Urban Survey.
- The tradition of urban surveyf in Italy.
- Methods and tools for the survey and analysis of the urban context: the relationship between natural and built environment, the reference cartography, the survey of urban fronts, the reading and definition of the qualitative values of the urban image.
- Methods and tools for urban survey: reference cartography, qualitative and quantitative data survey of urban sectors and axes, coding systems, critical reading of the building fabric and road axes of an urban centre (training and subsequent phases of growth).
- The relationship between reading and design.
C. Cundari (a cura di) - Il rilevamento urbano. Tipologia. Procedure. Informatizzazione. - Materiali della ricerca co-finanziata dal MIUR nel 2000, Roma, 2003
G.A. Massari, C. Pellegatta, E. Bonaria - Rilievo Urbano e ambientale - Libreria CLUP, Milano, 2006
D. Coppo, C. Boido (a cura di) - Rilievo urbano. Conoscenza e rappresentazione delle città consolidata - Alinea Editrice, Firenze, 2010
L. Mumford – La città nella storia – Milano, 1961
R. Arnheim – La dinamica della forma architettonica – Milano, 1981
K. Lynch – L’immagine della città – Padova, 1964
J. Rykwert – L’idea di città – Milano, 2002
Face-to-face lectures and reviews of assigned exercises
The examination test consists of the presentation of graphic works of urban relevance drawn up on the themes agreed upon within the laboratory, considered as evidence of the training as a critical ability to select the most appropriate techniques of representation.